Diskless, Dataless, and in-between...

James Crotinger jac at sundance.llnl.gov
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

I recently acquired a disk for my formerly diskless SS1 and I am trying to
decide how to reconfigure my system. Our first inclination was to move
swap and /tmp to the local disk, leaving the root file system on the
server so that it would be backed up regularly. However the Sun
documentation doesn't mention using such a configuration and I'm wondering
if there is a reason. Are there advantages to having the root file system
local? In particular I can imagine that there might be performance
advantages. Are there?

James A. Crotinger   Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab // The above views
jac at gandalf.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630     \\ // are mine and are not
(415) 422-0259       Livermore CA  94550       \\/ necessarily those of LLNL.