Process taking over system

henry at zoo.toronto.edu henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

>The problem:  When a compute-intensive process starts running and the
>3/260 server, the NFS response to the clients drops to the point of being
>unusable...

I'm not up on 4.0.1's peculiarities, but for a guess, what you have here
is Sun's well-known AWW (All the World's a Workstation) syndrome.  Since
all Suns are single-user workstations :-), when a big compute-intensive
process starts running, clearly it is *meant* to have the whole machine to
itself, and NFS service to interlopers from other CPUs is second priority.
AWW assumptions like this were all over SunOS 3.n, and I wouldn't be at
all surprised if they'd persisted.

                                          henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry