Sparc won't boot w/ serial devs attached???

Mike Jipping jipping at cs.hope.edu
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

david at msri.org (David Mostardi):
> Is it *really* true that a Sparcstation 1 won't boot if there are any
> devices (say, modems) attached to the serial ports?  The techie at Sun
> believes this is true.  Is there any way around this incredible problem?

Well...I know that incorrectly wired serial devices will "freeze" the
machine when connected.  We've done this with printers -- miswire some of
the pins and the whole machine freezes up after connecting the unit to a
serial port.

However, I believe a SS-1 will boot with correctly wired units.  Ours boot
with printers attached.

      Mike Jipping                        Internet: jipping at cs.hope.edu
      Hope College                          BITNET: JIPPING at HOPE
      Department of Computer Science         Voice: Hey!