how is memory configured?

David J. Camp david at wubios.wustl.edu
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

>   We were led to believe that we had 16MB of ram in our Sun 3/260.  However,
>   the 'top' program reports that we only have 5-6MB.  Either top is broken,
>   top is reporting something other than real memory, we have not properly
>   configured the memory on our computer, or we do not really have the 16MB
>   we thought we have.
>
>   Can anyone suggest:
>       1)  How can we determine how much memory is installed?
>       2)  How is SunOS told how much memory to use?
>       3)  What is top reporting?
>       4)  How can we make sure we are using the full 16MB?

I received various reeponses.  The simplest is to look at your
/var/adm/messages because this number is reported at boot time.  Another
suggested I open the computer and look at the boards, but I am certain I
do not know enough to make sense out of raw hardware.  Another suggested
looking at the source of 'top' to see what it is doing.

My /var/adm/messages file reports 16MB, but top still reports something
quite different.  I have not bothered to do the latter suggestions.

david at wubios.wustl.edu                 ^        Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios at wugate.wustl.edu        < * >      +1 314 382 0584
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david          v