SunOS4.1 Kernel panics...

Martin Friedmann martin at media-lab.media.mit.edu
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

It seems that SunOS4.1 off the tape crashes almost regularly when some
certain applications are run.

I have found two of these applications, one of which I wrote and use often

getx11 from the Utah Raster Toolkit (without the -f flag) (-f means no
fork()!) is an image display program for X11 which crashed the kernel
about 10% of the times.  The kernel crashes in a call to fork().  This I
am certain of.

Another application which will crash a SparcStation (EVERYTIME I've tried
this!) is rcp.

try the following on a SparcStation1 running vanilla SunOS4.1
a-machine% rcp a-file a-sparcstation:/dev/audio

That crashes every Sparc everytime!  Othere things about SunOS4.1 seem fine
and dandy.  I am just having problems with my getx11 program.

Is there a fix to 4.1 available?  Do you want a kernel traceback?  a PANIC
dump?  Am I alone in my problems?

Marty.

p.s.  People at Sun should know that I'm not flaming SUN.  I like Sun,
Suns and things that run on Suns!  So don't feel like I hate you! But you
gotta FIX THE BUGS!!!