tmpfs

Eirik Fuller eirik at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

In a previous posting I described a problem with tmpfs, in which
processes can get stuck in disk wait trying to read a directory.

Since then a Sun engineer found a way to repeat this problem, based on
data from our kernel core dump.  One of our users had made a hard link
to a directory in /tmp/, and this, apparently, caused the problem.

It sounds like the fix will cure both problems, that tmpfs allows mere
mortals to hard link directories, and the problems that ensue.