Gnu C vs. cc

Richard richard at unipalm.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

> I'm interested in the performance differences between the SunOs 4.1 cc
> compiler vs. Gnu-C 1.37.1.  Which generates better code?  Are there
> patches to Gnu-C for a better code generator/optimizer?  Thanks.  -Steve

>From previous experience of gcc, it is important to distinguish which
architecture you are running on.

On the Sun/3 gcc makes a significant improvement (3 times faster in
places) to the X server, but hardly makes any difference for Sparc or 386i
architectures.

Also important for us is the fact that gcc can't (in my version) handle
shared libraries.

Richard Nuttall                                 richard at xtech.uucp
XTech Limited, 145 St Neots Road,              (richard at unipalm.uucp)
Cambridge CB3 7QJ, England