SCSI disk and installboot problems...

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

In article <10169 at brazos.Rice.edu> richard at cs.ua.oz.au writes:

>In article <10110 at brazos.Rice.edu>, jto at ousrvr.oulu.fi (Jarkko
>Oikarinen) writes:
>|>
>|>But making the new disk bootable using
>|>installboot seemed to be impossible; it always flamed back with a message
>|>'not a superblock'. Why is this ?
>|>
>|>The command I used was something like:
>|>'installboot /mnt/boot bootsd /dev/sd4a'
>|>(the root partition of the new disk was mounted to /mnt).

I have had this occur sometimes when the root partition is not mounted as
root.  (eg /mnt). I don't really know why, but one way around it is to
boot off another device initially (tape or NFS) using the -a option (b
-sa), then when it asks the question for root and swap, give the local
disk (sd0a/sd0b). Once booted, then installboot works fine (installboot
-lv /boot bootsd /dev/rsd0a).

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254