What does "panic: psig action" mean?

Binod K. Taterway LUBKT at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

Does any one know what the following message means? I usually get this
message when I exit out of Sunview. Note that I do not get this message
everytime I exit Sunview. But these days, it is happening more often.

> panic: psig action
> syncing file systems... [17] 2 [17] 1 [16] 1 [14] 1 [11] 1 [7] 1 [3] 1 [2]
> 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 done
> 00000 low-memory static kernel pages
> 00677 additional static and sysmap kernel pages
> 00016 dynamic kernel data pages
> 00135 additional user structure pages
> 00001 segmap kernel pages
> 00000 segvn kernel pages
> 00432 current user process pages
> 00074 user stack pages
> 01335 total pages (1335 chunks)
>
> dumping to vp ff022f54, offset 30456
> 1335 total pages, dump succeeded
> rebooting...

Brief history: I had a SPARCstation 1+ (SunOS 4.1) with 8Meg of memory and
a color monitor. I had no problem whatsoever with that machine.  The swap
space was set to 16Meg and total disk space of 104Meg.  Then I got a new
SPARCstation 1+ with 16Meg of memory and a monochrome monitor as the
replacement for the original SPARC. Instead of copying files from one disk
to another, I had the hard-disk swapped. Things seem to work fine, but
then I started getting the above "panic: .." message. I thought, it might
be related to the swap space. So, I increased it to 20Meg (can't afford
any more disk space). According to the Sun manual, this much space should
be okay. I looked into "Sun User's Guide: Basic Troubleshooting" and other
manuals for an explanation of the problem, and found no mention of "panic:
psig action". Does any one has a clue as to what is going wrong?

Another Problem: I am also using NFS to mount file space of a CDC's Cyber
850 machine (running NOS/VE). I have used NFS of CYBER from a variety of
machines and I have had never a problem. So I suspect, if the following
error message is somehow related with the above problem:

> NFS write error 13 on host cdc1 fh 75300 1 289317f0 5b32315b 32315b32
> 315e535e 55504552 5e4c5e00

The hexadecimal numbers after "NFS write error 13 on host cdc1" change
everytime this message is repeated. Any clues on either or these problems?

If the information I have provided in insufficient, then send mail to the
address(es) mentioned below. Thanks for your help.

Binod Taterway				LUBKT at vax1.CC.Lehigh.EDU
User Consultant				LUBKT at spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Lehigh University, Beth, PA.
(215) 758-3984.