How can I add speech to my Sun application easily...

Tim Campbell campbell at dev8.mdcbbs.com
Wed Apr 17 11:00:00 AEST 1991

In article <2260 at brchh104.bnr.ca>, carnone at homxc.att.com (Christopher Arnone) writes:
> Does anyone know of any companies selling C libraries that provide a
> simple speech interface for SPARCStations?

It's been a little over a year since I worked on a Sparc, but as I recall,
Sun includes the source to their "sound" program.  If you don't have it on
your machine, it is on your std. SunOS distribution tape.

If your not aware of the program (you probably are) - it's a lot like a
tape recorder - you can hook up a microphone to your audio port and record
any sounds, voice info, etc. to files - so it's a useful tool for creating
digitally encoded analog sound tracks.

I'm wondering if what your REALLY looking for is more like a speech
synthesizer - which would use a phoneme library and a dictionary (with
phonemes to discribe pronounciations to the synthesizer) enabling it to
"say" text strings.

	  In real life:  Tim Campbell - Electronic Data Systems Corp.
     Usenet:  campbell at dev8.mdcbbs.com   @ McDonnell Douglas M&E - Cypress, CA