Wanted: Queueing system for automated access to lab workstations

Anne Louise Gockel alg at cs.cornell.edu
Mon Apr 29 05:20:00 AEST 1991

We are looking for a system that can be used to provide access to an
unmanned undergraduate lab of Sun workstations.  The system should manage
a queue of incoming students and force a student off of the console when
his or her time allotment has expired.

Does anyone know of any systems similar to this?

Ideal features:

- manage a queue of incoming students and 30+ workstations
- when lab has 70% of the seats occupied, enforce a X minute time limit on
  console access
- when time limit has expired, give console user a 5 minute warning and
  then force user off
- ignore remote login access (or maybe this can be an option?)

This system can either be some sort of front end to /bin/login or a daemon
running on a trusted server.  If you know of any system similar to this,
please send me the details.  I will post a summary of any promising