Problems with Frame Technology Corp.

Dr. A.Bykat ABYKAT%UTCVM.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Wed Apr 3 01:00:00 AEST 1991

Here is a brief summary of responses to my report of problems encountered
while  trying to get the X version FrameMaker demo.

In summary, I had 11 responses of which 6 were satisfied and 4 unsatisfied
with their treatment by Frame Technology Corp. Now, that is a small
sample, I agree, but it is very unflattering to that company!

Below is my original note followed by extract from the responses:

In article <2141 at brchh104.bnr.ca> I wrote:
>Well over two months ago Frame Technology Corp. advertized a free demo
>version of their FrameMaker. Repeated requests of the demo are ignored and
>telephone calls not responded to. In fact, even their sales managers
>(well, at least the one for Tennessee) has no better business manners: She
>promised to deal with that and call me back -- and this was the last thing
>that I heard from her.
>
>And all this trouble given to a paying customer with a number of copies of
>FrameMaker! (We have the Sunview version but want to move to X version).
>
>Were any of you treated in such a shoddy way, or is it only a regional
>feature?  And let me remind those who shrug off such complaints: this is
>not a question of an offended ego; it actually interferes with our work -
>awaiting almost 3 MONTHS FOR A RESPONSE!!!

EXTRACTS FROM RESPONSES:

I have always had great response from Frame. And I am not even a customer.
I must have 3 or 4 of their demos lying about.

I deal directly with FRAME in California.  The person who handles
University accounts is Kelly Matson @ (408)954-3974.  She is both
courteous and efficient.

I've never experienced that kind of problem.  Sounds like your mail isn't
getting to you.  E-mail address for Frame is comments at frame.com.

I did have an excellent support from Frame Canada.  They called me twice
(at least) to follow up on my request.

We too had to wait what seemed like forever for a response from Frame.  I
don't know what to suggest except keep hassling them.

I was told when I was out in San Jose and had an opportunity to visit
Frame that the best way to do this was to 'request a demo copy and make
sure your software maintenacne was up to date'....  ..... there was no
problem getting the other tape, and generally no support problems.

I never received a response from Frame, either.

From: colin at toshiba.tic.oz.au (Colin Sutton)
They have always given us a fast (and helpful) response.

Since late last summer, framemaker has been crashing on our Sun 3 network.
We started to report this to Frame in Nov/90.  To this today, we do not
know anything more about what is causing the problem even though we have
sent many reports and core files to Frame.  We are currently running
version 2.1.1 .