Automated Dumps

Glenda Stubblefield stubblef at stl-08sima.army.mil
Wed Apr 24 10:00:00 AEST 1991

I am System Administrator of two Sun SparcStation 1+ running 4.1, we will
soon add a Sparc 2.  At the present time I am manually doing full-system
backups and am doing incrementals through cron each night.  The full
systems are done in single-user mode, but the incrementals are done in the
middle of the night, while in multi-user.  I need to develop the means to
do automatic backups, both full and incrementals, through cron during off
hours.

Is there anyone out there who is doing hands-off full-system dumps?  Can
you tell me what kind of problems you had (if any)?  I guess that
specifically I'm concerned about shutting down to single-user and then
coming back up.

I will be dumping the file systems to a 10Gbyte Exabyte drive, so I don't
have to worry about changing tapes.

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me on this.

Glenda Stubblefield          stubblef at STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL
US AMC SIMA
St. Louis, MO