File completion in csh

David L. Markowitz dav at genisco.gtc.com
Wed Apr 3 01:00:00 AEST 1991

In comp.sys.sun tml at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Timothy Liddelow) writes:

>Why is it that on my distributed SPARC system that when file completion in
>csh is set, it doesn't work properly ?  If escape is pressed on the
>command line, the command is simply not recognised.  This only happens on
>the client machine, not the server.  As the file completion must obviously
>read the current directory, could that be the problem that my machine has
>to read the remote disk ?

It sounds like you are trying to do file completion in a text subwindow
(i.e. a commandtool).  File completion won't work in text subwindows, but
will work on the raw console (no window system), in shelltools, and on
real terminals.  Note that this is true under both sunview and open
windows.

	David L. Markowitz
	Genisco Technology Corporation
	dav at gtc.com