Adding 1meg simms to 4/110

gt4417a at prism.gatech.edu gt4417a at prism.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 29 05:20:00 AEST 1991

Could someone share with me the magic of how to get a sun 4/110 to accept
some 1-meg simms? I don't have the technical manual and the system isn't
covered by our support contract anymore.

There are 32(!) simm slots on the cpu board and each of them originally
had a 256k simm installed. I installed 16 1m simms in place of 16 of the
256k simms. The whole deal ended up like this:

 __HHHHHHHH___HHHHHHHH___HHHHHHHH__
|                                  |
|  ________   ________             |    * I put the memory in 2 and 4. Any
| |        | |        |            |      other arrangement of the memory
| |   3    | |   4    |            |      wouldn't boot.
| | 8x256k | | 8x1 meg|            |
|  --------   --------             |    * the jumpers j1300 and j1400 looked
|  ________   ________             |      like this originally:
| |        | |        | J1300      |
| |    1   | |  2     |            |             same XX      XX = jumper
| | 8x256k | | 8x1 meg| J1400      |             diff --
|  --------   --------             |             256k XX
|                                  |              1M  --
|                                  |             2PM  --
|                                  |             <32M XX
|                                  |              32M --
|                                  |
____________________________________    * I moved the 256k jumper on the
/                                 \       j1300 block to 1M after I put the
A                                          memory in.

After all of this I changed the Installed Memory (0x14) and the Memeory to
Check (0x15) to 0x12 (18) meg. I also changed 0xbd (in the cpu
configuration block) to 0x12.

After all of this when I booted it says that I only have 8meg installed
and it only checks 8meg and the message after it loads vmunix says 8meg.

Any suggestions?

Joel Skelton
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt4417a
Internet: gt4417a at prism.gatech.edu