Problems with GNU tar on 4.1.1.

Jesse W. Asher dynasys!hbmc!jessea at rutgers.edu
Wed Apr 3 01:00:00 AEST 1991

I'm trying to use GNU tar 1.09 on a SparcStation 1+ to do my backups, but
I'm having a lot of problems with it.  Sometimes I get a segmentation
fault when I use the -M option and it reaches the end of the tape.  It
dumps a core and I have to start all over again.  It does this pretty
regularly.  Does anyone have this configured specifically for SunOS
running 4.1.1 and would be willing to send me the diffs(or at least tell
me what to configure).  All I did was configure it to use the BSD options
and that was about all.  I've played with port.c, but nothing seems to
help.  I also get very nondescriptive error messages.  I defined
VARARGS_MSG, but I haven't seen anything different yet(I havn't restored
anything using this yet, and that is where I see most of the error
messages).  I would appreciate any help with this as I don't really like
dump and cpio and tar will not handle multiple volumes.

         Jesse W. Asher                             Phone: (901)386-5061
	                  Home-Bound Medical Care
	       5135 Covington Way, Suite 4, Memphis, TN 38134
                       UUCP: ...!banana!hbmc!jessea