Trouble with new "secure" in.telnetd

Peter Steele peter at aucs.acadiau.ca
Wed Apr 17 11:00:00 AEST 1991

Last week there was a CERT advisory warning us that there was a
"vulnerability" with in.telnetd that could compromise security.  I copied
and installed the new version of in.telnetd as per their instructions and
within the next 48 hours or so our Sun 4/280 crashed 4 or 5 times. The
symptoms were always the same, with the Sun reporting that it was "out of
ptys". I replaced the new version with the old version and we've had no
problems since. Has anyone has similar difficulties with this new version
of in.telnetd?

Peter Steele   Postmaster   peter at auad.acadiau.ca   Tel: 902-542-2201
Software Analyst, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS  Fax: 902-542-7224