/dev/tty[*] owned by root (in suntools & OL)

Athula Herath csa29 at seq1.keele.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 07:14:13 AEST 1991

I have a question on ownership of tty's. If one invokes the shelltool (to
get a shell window) OL and Suntools puts the ownership of the tty (say
/dev/ttyp1) to root (and make it world writable). At least my machine does
this. Is this supposed to be so? My problem is I can't invoke 'biff' or
'mesg n' in these windows (among other things).

We run SUN-OS 4.1, and OLWM 2.0.

Is there any way to change this setup, or if we change this, is there any
other consequences ?  You advice is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Athula.