386i accting funny?

Glenn Pitcher gpitcher at edpmgt.cts.com
Wed Apr 3 01:00:00 AEST 1991

This morning I came in to find my Sun half dead.  Apparently, the system
rebooted at 0641 yesterday morning and things for some reason didn't come
back like they should have.  The following are the symptoms I
encountered...

1) The screen, instead of displaying the logintool screen, simply had a
   black square in the middle.  The cursor was being displayed but was very
   slow to update.

2) The heartbeat lights on the back of the system was still cycling
   through but each light would be on for a full second before it went to the
   next.  Usually these lights are sequencing so fast, they almost seem to be
   on all at once.

I still have to examime the /usr/adm/acct file to see if there was some
kind of runaway program but as far as the /usr/adm/messages file is
concerned, there was no problem, except for the reboot.

Does anyone have any idea as to what may have been happening?

Thanks,
Glenn Pitcher                              UUCP: {crash,ucsd}!edpmgt!gpitcher
Programmer/Analyst &                                  hp-sdd!teamnet!gpitcher
Unix Guru in training                  INTERNET: gpitcher at edpmgt.cts.com
EDP Management, Inc.                         * Proud member of Team.Net *