Using Kermit on Sun Systems

dupuy at cs.columbia.edu dupuy at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 9 18:25:42 AEST 1991

DF100S at oduvm.cc.odu.edu (Sheila Foster) writes:

> ... We are a University and must dial 9 to get an outside line.  Everytime I
> use kermit and try to dial out through the modem, the operator tells me I
> need to hang up and try again. ...  I can dial on campus lines with no
> problem.  It seems like everytime it dials 9 it changes to rotary dialing
> instead of touch tone.

And the Editor notes:

> Make sure you have a delay between dialing 9 and your outside number to give
> your phone system time to aquire an outside line before your modem continues
> dialing. ... I've never heard of a modem spontaneously changing from tone to
> pulse dialing.

If adding a pause after the 9 isn't enough, it's possible that you are on
a PBX which understands tone, but which has outside lines that only accept
rotary pulse dialing (only a University would be chintzy enough to do
something stupid like this).  In that case, you should try dialing the
whole number with rotary pulse (use ATP to set this).  If your PBX doesn't
understand rotary pulse dialing, your University telecom administrator
deserves to be shot, but unfortunately you will probably be the one to
suffer the consequences.

Be thankful you don't have an extravagant telecom administrator (like we
did) - you could be stuck with ROLM instead (ack pthffthp! :-).

inet: dupuy at cs.columbia.edu
uucp: ...!rutgers!cs.columbia.edu!dupuy