Hardware and benchmarks

Avri Doria avri at asherah.clearpoint.com
Tue Jan 1 03:45:11 AEST 1991

I am looking for information which will help me choose between the Sun
4/4[7,9]0 and Sparc II as NFS servers.  I want a 470, but I have someone
telling me a Sparc II will work just a well.  Is this true?  Questions I
am trying to answer are:

How many NFS users can each support.  Our configuration is as follows:
each workstation, (both Sun and other)  will have local boot, swap and
utilities.  All sources, however, will reside in the server.  How many
software developers can be served.

How many diskless stations can be served by each?

Is ther a reasonable metric which can be used to determine the ratio of
diskless to nfs only workstations which can be served?

Can a fully loaded server (i.e. maximum client population as defined
above) still be used as a compute server (i.e. cross compilation). As a
mail and news server?

Has anybody done any benchmarks on this.  And if so. how can I get a hold
of descriptions and results?

By the Way:  There used to be (3 years ago, the last time I had sun
equipment) a great phases of the moon tool. I could not find this in the
archive.  Was I blind?  Is it there under another name?  Does someone know
where I can FTP one from?

Again, thanks

avri at asherah.clearpoint.com