Problem w/ NewsPrint Software

tom genese {insane} oxftg at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu
Tue Jan 29 11:34:24 AEST 1991

I recently acquired NewsPrint software from Sun.  I currently have a Sparc
IPC and would like to connect an _Apple_ LaserWriter IINT printer to it.
NewsPrint installed just fine, but I have yet to get any output from the
printer.

Here is the way its hooked up: I have a null modem cable running from the
IPC's ttyb port (8 pin) to the LWs 25 pin.  The switches on the printer
are in the 1 up, 2 down position, indication 9600 baud communication
through the 25 pin port.  (This later fact is confirmed from the LWIINTs
banner page.)  As mentioned in the Apple LWIINT manual, this configuration
should make communication through RS-232 and RS-422 channels possible.
According to popular theory, on the way to the printer, pins 2 and 3
should be switched, just like on a modem.  This cable satisfies this
condition since it works with an attached Telebit modem (on port A).

The software is installed in /export/newsprint, as per Sun's
recommendation.  When I attempt to sent an ascii file to the printer with
a command like:

	pl file.ascii.txt :postprint
or
	pl file.ascii.txt :simple

the job is queued and is visible with lpc observations as well as lpq.  In
regards to lpc, the printer is up and printing, daemon started, etc: all
working normal, yet no hard copies.  And, more significantly, the printer
does not indicate any processing by flashing the leftmost light.

  What follows is the /etc/printcap entry, generated by newsprint:

# entry for a local PostScript printer
lp|sisu|PostScript printer:\
        :br#9600:rw:fc#0000374:\
        :fs#0000003:xc#0:xs#0040040:\
        :mx#0:sf:sb:\
	:lp=/dev/ttyb:\
	:sd=/var/spool/sisu:\
	:lf=/var/spool/sisu/log:\
	:af=/var/spool/sisu/acct:\
	:if=/usr/export/newsprint/lpd/if:\
	:gf=/usr/export/newsprint/lpd/gf:\
	:nf=/usr/export/newsprint/lpd/nf:\
	:tf=/usr/export/newsprint/lpd/tf:\
	:rf=/usr/export/newsprint/lpd/rf:\
	:vf=/usr/export/newsprint/lpd/vf:\
	:cf=/usr/export/newsprint/lpd/cf:\
	:df=/usr/export/newsprint/lpd/df:\
	:of=/usr/export/newsprint/lpd/of:

So, what's the problem?  I can recall from poking around inside the IPC a
few days after delivery a jumper connection.  I cannot recall, however, it
being in the RS-232 or RS-423 (note, not 422) position.  However, I think
this is not the problem, but rather something with the external connection
or the software.

If anyone has any suggestions or general comments, please mail them to

	oxftg at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu