Sunview question - any takers?

Randolf E. Klatt ittc!rklatt at uunet.uu.net
Wed Jan 9 08:20:33 AEST 1991

Hi there netters, here's an arcane question for you.

For various unspeakable reasons, our main application defeats the SunView
key defaults and sets its own. (I guess there's only so man alt, shift,
etc combinations :-) ) An unintended side effect is that the F1 key no
longer can be used to switch a window to upper case only, meaning the CAPS
LOCK must be constantly toggled. This causes grief for the casual users,
who end up logging in in all upper case and have to be rescued etc.

But, from my perusal of the man pages (SunOS4.1.0, BTW) I know that
sending an escape sequence to the tool can cause it to do wierd and
wonderful things.  See the shelltool man page for a description. But.....
no mention of an escape that does the same as the F1 key, even though
there's a tantalizing 'set option' with no description of what the options
are!

So, here's the question: does anyone know of an escape sequence that could
be sent to put the window into CAPS LOCK mode the way SunView's F1 does???
And, also, but less importantly, can it be switched back?

 Randolf Klatt
 uunet!ittc!rklatt
 rklatt at ittc.wec.com