Using malloc with XView

scott%grlab.uucp at hpubvwa.nsr.hp.com scott%grlab.uucp at hpubvwa.nsr.hp.com
Tue Jan 29 01:12:38 AEST 1991

Has anyone noticed some funny behavior from mixing large malloc requests
with XView object creation? I had some code that xv_create'd some stuff,
then allocated a large (6x20) array, then filled in the array with
xv_create'd object handles. Towards the end of the xv_create calls, I
noticed that the object handle numbers started overlapping the address of
my array values. With a debugger, I stepped through doing
xv_get(obj,PANEL_VALUE) on some of the earlier objects.  After a while the
xv_get's started returning nil, and I got some XView errors about "bad
seal".

I changed the array to be a static array instead of a dynamically
allocated, and things started working. Are there any guidelines about
using dynamically allocated memory from within an XView application that I
need to worry about?  (NOTE: This is running OpenWindows v2.0 on a SPARC
1+ with SunOS 4.1)

Thanks for any help,

Scott Blachowicz
USPS:  Graphicus                E-mail:  scott%grlab.UUCP at hpubvwa.NSR.HP.COM
       150 Lake Str S, #206      ..or..  scott at grlab.Celestial.COM
       Kirkland, WA USA 98033    ..or..  ...!hpubvwa!grlab!scott
Voice: 206/828-4691             FAX:     206/828-4236