A couple Sun networking questions

Jared Nedzel jln at elaine41.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 25 10:37:45 AEST 1991

Question 1:

I'm writing a program that does inter-process communication using Unix
sockets and ports. Previously, I've been using an aribtrary port number
(1001) to bind to. This has worked just fine on DEC machines (DECStation
3100, uVax II, Vax 8350). Now I'm trying to port my code to a Sun SLC and
it won't work. It crashes when I try to bind to the socket, setting errno
to EADDRNOTAVAIL. This is explained (?) in the manual as "The specified
address is not available from the local machine." [BIND(2), Page 704]

I've tried changing the port number (1001, 1024, 10000, 50001), but all
give the same response. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Question 2:

I'm having a bit of trouble working with our Decstation 3100 and Sun SLC.
When I'm logged in on the Sun at the console, I often need to telnet to
the Decstation. The problem is getting the terminal setup right for the
Decstation to recognize the Sun (I often need to use emacs over the
network).

I guess what I need is the proper termcap entry for the Decstation (and
probably for the Sun as well).

Please e-mail responses.
Thanks,
Jared Nedzel