Andrew File System?

Robert Nagler olsen!nagler at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 11 21:42:19 AEST 1991

I have a few questions about the Andrew File System.  I would like to hear
replies from people who are using the AFS on SPARCs--Transarc and OSF
people don't bother replying.

1) Can AFS completely replace NFS including booting?  Assume 200MB local
   disks on all machines.  I don't mind wasting a couple of MB for root, but
   would like to access /usr/{share,...} via AFS, i.e.  I'd like 150MB left
   over for the "cache" on the local disk.

2) We don't have any servers, i.e. all the shared disks are on
   workstations that people use.  Is it possible to use the one disk as a
   cache while using the server software on another?  The file system should
   be identical on all machines.

3) Can you cross-mount and what happens when a "server" goes down?  Is it
   like NFS in that everything waits for that server?  Do you have to play
   special games when booting?

4) Do you notice a reduced network load when using AFS in comparison to
   NFS?  (This is really a loaded question, because site
   configurations/network use varies widely.)

5) What are the administration headaches?

6) What's your configuration (briefly)?   Are you using it with
   SPARClones?

7) Do you recommend purchasing AFS as a part of the OSF/DCE or directly
   from Transarc?  What's the support like?

Thanks in advance.  Reply via e-mail and I will summarize.
Rob nagler at olsen.uu.ch