Randy Zagar randy at sparc.ncpa.olemiss.edu
Wed Jan 23 12:35:43 AEST 1991

I have received several responses to my USENET posting about providing a
"local" swap file/partition/device on a diskless workstation (SS1+).
There appear to be several ways to accomplish this under OS4.1.

Here is a summary of my responses to date:

(1) Creating/Using a new swap *file*

        mkfile -v filename size         # check manual for usage.
        swapon filename

        # Also, check fstab.

(2) Using a new swap *partition*.

        swapon /dev/sd1b

        # This respondent suggests that you avoid the disk label and
        # only use partition 'b' as a swap partition.  One could create
        # a 1 cylinder partition and make 'b' the rest of the disk.
        # This avoids any *potential* interference with the disk label
        # on the first block.

(3) Modify the kernel

    I got two nearly identical responses of this type.  The only change
    that is made is in the kernel config file.  It is

        config	vmunix	root on type nfs swap on type spec sd0[bc]

    One site uses 'sd0b' and the other uses 'sd0c'.  The second site
    has several machines configured to use 'sd0c' as a swap device, so
    this method *should* work (OS4.1).

Many thanks to those who responded, you know who you are.

Randy Zagar