can ONE single sendto() send all 8K data in Sun UDP-based RPC?

TAYBENGH at NUSDISCS.BITNET TAYBENGH at NUSDISCS.BITNET
Wed Jan 9 12:42:00 AEST 1991

I am always puzzled about 8K limitation imposed by Sun UDP-based RPC
implementation. After reading the source code, I realized that the 8K is
actually imposed by RPC itself when creating buffer for XDR_MEM.  However,
I wondered is it possible to send all 8K data in ONE single socket
sendto() as shown in Sun RPC source code? As most of the people pointed
out, sendto() NORMALLY can only send 1-2K (implementation dependent) of
data.  What if the sendto() can NOT send all 8K data in one single UDP
message, will there be errors like RPC_CANTSEND ?

If I modified the library such that large data is sent using several
sendto() call, will several UDP message generated for each sendto() call?
If so, will the various messages splited from of ONE UDP-RPC call mix with
other UDP-RPC call message (I think it is likely, am I rite?)?

Could anybody please shed some light on me, please? I am deperate to know!
Thanks a lot.

p/s: I cross-posted it to some other lists, if u see it more than once,
     please forgive me.

Regards.

- Beng Hang Tay (email: taybengh at nusdiscs.bitnet)