Error for command 'write' on a Sparc-1

A. Joseph Rajkumar plains!rajkumar at uunet.uu.net
Wed Jan 9 19:44:18 AEST 1991

We have a Sparcstation 1 running SunOS 4.0.3c and I seem to be getting the
following error message on the screen.

sd3:  Error for command 'write'
      Error level: Fatal      Block:????( varying numbers)
      Sense Key: Hardware error.

I did a df to check the file system and here is the output:-

filesystem     kbytes       used     avail      capacity      mounted on
/dev/sd3a       7552        7134        0         105%            /
/dev/sd3g     278928      158926     92109         63%            /usr

I would kindly appreciate knowing if I should take up the matter with Sun
directly or am I missing something.

I rebooted the system, but it says "reboot failed" run fsck manually.  I
run fsck manually, it runs cleans, but again the above message keeps
coming up with different block numbers.

I would appreciate any help in fixing the problem through software,
otherwise if it a real hardware problem, please let me know.

Thanks
Joseph Rajkumar