Sun 4.1.1 'biff y' problem :-(

Christos S. Zoulas dartvax!batcomputer!christos at uunet.uu.net
Sat Jan 26 16:49:26 AEST 1991

In article <1450 at brchh104.bnr.ca> shahryar at eris.berkeley.edu (Persian Nightmare) writes:
>I have a problem with the 'biff y' command on our Sun 4.1.1 system.  Ever
>since we have switched to Sun 4.1 OS, I have never been able to get the
>'biff y' command to work.  The weird thing is that only a few users does
>this command work for, and for some it doesn't {including our Sys Admin}.

You should get the sources for in.comsat from a 4.3 BSD system, compile
and install it. Sun broke in.comsat in 4.1 for users with 8 character long
usernames.  My guess is that the code does an strcpy, instead of an
strncpy.  You can look for the core file of in.comsat in
/usr/spool/mqueue...

| Christos Zoulas         | 389 Theory Center, Electrical Engineering,   |
| christos at ee.cornell.edu | Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853.         |
| christos at crnlee.bitnet  | Phone: (607) 255 0302 |  Fax: (607) 254 4565 |