Openwindows - 4 Megs vs. 8 Megs

Mark Holden holdenm at stolaf.edu
Fri Jan 11 14:50:14 AEST 1991

In article <1130 at brchh104.bnr.ca> hpubvwa!grlab!lavar at cs.washington.edu (LaVar Edwards) writes:
>We have a couple of Sun 3/50's with 4M and running OpenWindows.  Before
>you ask, yes it does start up after about ~10 min and it is worthless.
>
>What I was wondering was what kind of performance could we get if we
>purchased an additional 4 Meg (8 total) for these machines.

Well, I've run Openwindows on a couple of 3/50s, one has 8M and does a
marginal job of it, the other has 12M and does much better.  One thing
that makes a huge difference on the Sun 3s (and to a lesser extent on the
Sun 4s) is running Openwindows without the NeWS server.  You do this by
setting the environment variable X11ONLY=true Without this, the 3/50 will
be unberably slow even with 8M.  Or such has been my experience.  I'd say
without at least 8M, it'd just be a joke to run Openwindows.  In general
we've found it to be sluggish on a SPARC (SLC) with the base 8M also.  Of
course, I won't be using the 3/50s (or the SLCs) much longer, they're
becoming IPC's... (Just the 3/50s)