IEEE error handler for Sun FORTRAN

Zhang Yun Fei zhang at buast7.bu.edu
Thu Jan 24 06:41:37 AEST 1991

I have a question about the error handler of SUN FORTRAN. The question is
how to locate the location where an arithmetic error occurs in a program.
This is especially helpful as I am writing a computation-intensive code.
On VAX/VMS machines, the code will crash when it encounter these
arithmetic error and tell the user where it occures. However, on SUNs, it
only shows a message at the end of the job says something like the
following:

>  Warning: the following IEEE floating-point arithmetic exceptions
>  occurred in this program and were never cleared:
>  Inexact;  Division by Zero;  Invalid Operand; .....

My question is how the determine the point(s) in the code where such
indicated arithmetic exceptions happened. Try to modifying the IEEE error
handler (e.g.  sigfpe_ieee, etc.) seems a possible approach. But it
involves changes in these lower level routine, which I am reluctant to
try. Is there any other option I can have to archive the some goal? (e.g.,
compiletion/linking options or software tools).

Any suggestion are welcome.

Please E-mail your resopnse to this message to zhang at buast0.bu.edu. If
there are enough people interesting in these topic, I will summarize the