Filesystem Compatiblity between 4.0.3->4.1.1

Aditya Talwar aditya at cs.uh.edu
Tue Jan 8 05:32:36 AEST 1991

Recently we upgraded from SunOS 4.0.3 to 4.1.1. During are preparation we
had read about the upward compatibility of filesystems. This is what
happened. We have a Sun 4/470 with Ciprico Controller (Rimfire Driver),
after upgrading, two of the disks on the controller mounted correctly &
two others failed to mount. Although all four disks did go through fsck
cleanly (done both in boot sequence and manually).  We got back on the air
after recreating the filesystem & restoring on the disks.

Question: Have any of you heard/noticed similar problems with file
systems.  Sun claims that the file systems are compatible. We heard
conflicting reports (from Sun Engineers) about a change in the Super block
structure, etc. which causes instantaneous failure (as in our case) or
failure after some elapsed time (aging).

Please email your replies to me or put it on the net.

Email:aditya at cs.uh.edu