SysV-style ps?

Jean-Francois Lamy sobeco!lamy at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jan 25 13:35:57 AEST 1991

After years of typing "ps waux" I never thought I'd ever be asking this,
but (gasp) can anyone explain what the rationale is for not including a
SysV version of "ps" in SunOS?  I checked a vanilla 4.1.1 system and could
not find trace of it -- at least not in the man pages, in /usr/5bin or in
the non-existent /usr/5kvm...

We have a rather largish application that includes a fair number of
maintenance and installation scripts that were developped on straight SysV
systems (NCRs) and then ported with little difficulty on a SysV + BSD
two-headed OS (MIPS), so I am rather puzzled to see that something like ps
would have been overlooked.  It can obviously be worked around, but this
is exactly the sort of things one would have hoped not to waste time on...

Jean-Francois Lamy                         lamy at sobeco.com  uunet!sobeco!lamy
Research and Development, Sobeco Technical Services, Montreal, Canada H2Z 1Y7