MTOOLS read/write fail with low density disks.

John Veregge john at nereid.jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 26 03:24:26 AEST 1991

I have MTOOLS version 1.6.2 (Jul 5 89) and it corrupts files when copying
to/from low density (770 K) 3.5" floppy disks. It works fine with the high
density 3.5" floppy disks (1.44 M). I have compiled this with/without the
optimization and on both a Sparc 1 with OS 4.1.0 and an IPC with OS 4.1.1.

Does anyone know of a more recent version/patch/fix than 1.6.2 (Jul 5 89)?

[[Ed's Note: You may want to verify that the patches on titan.rice.edu
have been installed in your code. I am not 100% certain what the latest
version is - there are a couple of readers working on tracking that down
even as we speak. I *do* know that one of the problems fixed by the
patches on titan involved problems writing low density disks. -bdg]]

{ MTOOLS is a collection of MSDOS tools to allow you to read and write to }
{ MSDOS formatted diskettes from a Unix based system. (Defaults to using  }
{ the Sparc's or 386's 3.5" floppy disk drive.)                           }

John R Veregge                 Section 348 - Flight Command and Data
Jet Propulsion Laboratory      Management (Technology Development)
Calif Institute of Technology  Mail stop: T1704, Office: T1704-P
4800 Oak Grove Drive           Phone: (818) 354-0511, FAX: 393-4494
Pasadena, CA, USA 91109        john at triton.jpl.nasa.gov