Inexpensive monochrome monitor for Sun 3/60?

Jim Hickstein teda!attain!jxh at decwrl.dec.com
Sun Jan 20 17:47:01 AEST 1991

We have bought several Philips OEM replacement 19-inch ECL monochrome
monitors for our Sun-3 systems from:

	Apex Computer
	4500 150th Av. NE
	Redmond WA 98052
	(206) 867-1900
	(800) 654-8222
	(206) 883-4910 FAX

The good part is this: US$ 600.00 !  Even with the new, narrower base
intended to sit on top of SPARCstation 1 pizza boxes!  They seem to have a
warehouse full of them, or they did a few months ago.  I just called them
to buy a few more and they said they could accommodate me.

Now the bad news.  I have not been able to pin anyone down on just why
these might be better than the original Sun monitors that are dropping
like flies.  Someone, I thought, would have the crucial story to tell
about a different flyback supplier or *something*.  Nothing.  You pays
your money and you takes your chances.  We haven't had the Apex units in
here long enough to tell how they're going to hold up, but there have been
no infant fatalities (Apex says they burn them in), and they look very
nice: sharp, clear, well-adjusted.

Teradyne and I are not related to Apex in any way beyond being their
satisfied customers.

Jim Hickstein, Teradyne/Attain, San Jose CA, (408) 434-0822 FAX -0252
jxh%attain.teradyne.com at apple.com ...!{amdcad!teda,apple}!attain!jxh