Using Kermit on Sun Systems

John Stanley stanley at phoenix.com
Thu Jan 10 13:08:29 AEST 1991

hooverm at sysjj.mdcbbs.com writes:

> If there is a second dial tone after dialing the "9", you might try adding a
> "wait" after the "9" (9w555-1212).  This will cause KERMIT to wait for the
> second dial tone.

Both this posting and the original seem to be confusing what the modem is
doing and what the modem is doing.

Kermit does not have any information about how to dial. Inserting a "w"
does not make kermit do anything but send a "w" to the modem. The modem
may choose to wait. Not all Hayes modems do this.

>From: SDF100S at oduvm.cc.odu.edu (Sheila Foster) <1045 at brchh104.bnr.ca>:

>  ... I need
> to hang up and try again. This is only when I use the 9 to dial outside of
> campus. I can dial on campus lines with no problem. It seems like
> everytime it dials 9 it changes to rotary dialing instead of touch tone.

This last sentence is confusing. What is changing to rotary dialing?  Do
you mean the modem is sending pulses instead of tone, when it started
sending tone? If this is true, then you are sending the modem a "P"
command in the dialing string.

Or do you mean, as I think you mean, that the phone line no longer accepts
tone dialing but will take pulse? This is not unusual. The campus may have
its own phone system that accepts tone, but may buy non-tone lines from
the local telephone company. They are cheaper. When you dial 9, the campus
system hooks you directly to the outside line and goes off to do something
else. You must provide what the outside line wants.

The simple test of this is to use the phone connected to that line to dial
off-campus. If you can dial entirely in tone, then something else is
wrong.

In Hayes commands, something like: "ATDT 9, P555-1212" (Attention!  Dial
in tones 9. Pause one second. Switch to pulse and dial 555-1212.) will
solve the problem.

> thought there might be a set argument to set this to touch tone but there
> is nothing listed in the documentation for this.

Nope. Kermit knows nothing about how the modem works. This is a good
thing. The whole world is not Hayes. Some of it is DEC, and DEC scholar
modems have about the most non-intuitive command set of any. So, you
cannot tell Kermit (using a set command) how to dial. When you dial, you
speak straight to the modem, and you need to use the modem docs for that.