Packet Filtering/Sending on a Promiscuous Interface

Mitchel W. Sukalski mws at cnt.lanl.gov
Wed Jan 16 08:34:07 AEST 1991

I'm looking at writing some automated test suites on a Sun-4/490 running
SunOS 4.1.  In particular, I'm planning on sending and receiving raw
packets to simulate protocol errors, unique conditions, and "boundary
conditions".

I was wondering, therefore, about the advisability of using Sun's NIT
versus, say, LBL's 4.3 BSD BPF packet filtering software.  Can anybody
give me the lowdown on these various filtering interfaces?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch Sukalski
email:  mws at lanl.gov
office: 505-665-1637