eeprom command on Sparcs

Daniel Quinlan chs!kiva!danq at uunet.uu.net
Sat Jan 12 01:15:36 AEST 1991

torda at igc.ethz.ch (Andrew Torda D31 5503) writes:

>Does /usr/bin/eeprom work on other peoples Sparc's?

>On a 4/65 with OS 4.1, (eeprom rev 1.3) mine says
>    eeprom: /dev/eeprom: Error 0
>On a 4/490 server, it says,
>    eeprom: software area checksum wrong

If you use eeprom -i, it ignores the "checksum error" and does what you
tell it, at least on our 490's.  (The first problem may have something to
do with /usr/kvm).  I called Sun about this -- they know there's an error
in the prom, but they have no fixes or plans for fixes (that they're
willing to announce.)

Daniel Quinlan			{uunet,boulder}!chs!danq
System Administrator 		303/442-1111 x3124
Consumer Health Services	Boulder, CO