SUN RFS and hostname(1)

Bradley E. Smith brad at bradley.bradley.edu
Sun Jan 27 14:14:39 AEST 1991

I have 2 questions.

1. Has anyone gotten RFS on SUN OS 4.1.1 to work with either AT&T 3B2's or
   AT&T 386's using RFS?  If I mount a SUN disk on the 386 an ls says 'too
   many open files' and if I mount a 3B2 disk on the Sun I get (I think) '.
   not found'.  Everything seems to work, otherwise (ie I can mount the 3B2's
   disk on the 386) oh, also the SUN is the primary nameserver for RFS.

2. The standard configuration on our SUN is that the 'hostname(1)'
   commands returned 'bradley.bradley.edu', and 'domainname(1)' returned
   '.bradley.edu'.   Well the /usr/5bin/uname -a show a system name of
   'bradley.b'.  Which caused RFS not to work.  We changed the hostname to
   'bradley' (so as to get RFS up), and it doesn't seem to hurt anything
   other than 'nntp' (some server file had 'bradley.bradley.edu', so  simple
   editing fixed that.   My question is what is normal?

Thanks
brad at bradley.edu