Has anyone used the Mt. Xinu K-Spool system?

jjsc jjsc at informatics.rutherford.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 03:47:34 AEST 1991

I'm not sure if these are the correct newsgroups to mail to, so I
apologise now if I've got it wrong!

Now, the reason for my post:

We have a Linotronic 100 with a RIP 1 processor connected to a Macintosh.
Currently, the only way to print from Sun's to the Lino is to physically
plug in a serial line from the Sun to the RIP and switch to serial
operation rather than Appletalk.  This  is  not  an ideal situation  as it
means that we have to have someone available to make the change whenever
files are to be sent from either the Sun or Mac.

A few months ago we received a flyer detailing the K-Spool system, however
at the time we were not interested in such a device. Now however, it is
beginning to look much more useful!

What I would  like,  is  to  hear from anyone  out there that has
experience of this hardware and software, the reliability etc. Also, if
anyone else has any info with regard to sharing devices between Unix
(SunOS in our case) and Appletalk I would be very interested.

Please mail me direct if possible (choose an appropriate address from the
.sig below :-) and I will summarise to the net.

I look forward to lots and lots of correspondance!

John Cullen                     || JANET : jjsc at uk.ac.rl.inf
System Support Group            || ARPA  : jjsc%inf.rl.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Informatics Department          || BITNET: jjsc%inf.rl.ac.uk at ukacrl
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory  || UUCP  : {...!mcsun}!ukc!rlinf!jjsc
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon. OX11 0QX || VOICE : +44 (0)235 821900 ext 6555