4/490 w/SCSI disks

Wolfgang Stukenbrock wgstuken at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Jan 15 06:40:06 AEST 1991

garlick at ucsco.ucsc.edu (Tim Garlick -- UCSC Computer Center) writes:

>Has anyone bought a 4/490, added a SCSI host adapter and then used SCSI
>disks?

Yes we have. It will work with any SCSI-disk that works on ather sun's.
We use at the moment one Fujitsu 600MByte Disc. (I don't know the
part-number.)

>If so, did you have any problems?

Up to now, no problems. The normal speed restrictions of SCSI when using
more then 3 discs on the same bus is valid.

>Sun does not support this
>configuration (because they want to force you to buy IPI drives, I guess),
>but being able to use SCSI disks would sure be nice.

Up to the moment, when sun throught out the SCSI-driver of the kernel,
SCSI-disc are a cheap alternative to IPI-disc (when speed is not so
important).

The "missing" support for SCSI-disc on Sparc-servers is the same as the
"stupid" statement from SUN (at the beginning - up to now they give it up)
that the CD-ROM will not work on Sun 3's.

Wolfgang