70 Mbyte shoebox fix

William R. Pearson wrp at biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU
Fri Jan 4 14:26:31 AEST 1991

I have a 70 Mbyte sun shoebox (the micropolis + Adaptec controller) that
is getting closer and closer to the end.  Every few months it must be
reformatted to remove bad sectors, and more and more bad sectors are
appearing that I cannot map out.  I am familiar with 3rd party SCSI sun
drives, and clearly one alternative is to through away the drive in the
shoebox and replace it with an new big drive.  But I am curious if the
Micropolis 141 Mbyte drives are still available at a reasonable price (<
$800)? What is involved in coverting the Adaptec from using a 70 Mbyte
Micropolis to a 141 Mbyte?  Are there other ST506 drives that I should
look at that will work with this controller?

Bill Pearson
wrp at virginia.EDU