PARITY's Sun Sparc IPC laptop

Tom Perrine tep%tots.UUCP at ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

In article <2833 at brchh104.bnr.ca> caserta at athena.mit.edu (Francesco Caserta) writes:

>I received in the mail today the following information. I knew that only
>RDI and TriGem were selling this laptop, although with different names.
>In particular this laptop is available also with a color display and an
>additional internal disk drive.  If somebody has more hands-on info, it
>would be appreciated.

>PARITY presents the ...
>
>                             Sun SPARCstation IPC Laptop
>
>The Parity Britelite(TM) battery-powered workstation is not a SPARC clone
>---it features a SPARCstation IPC motherboard manufactured by Sun
>Microsystems, Inc. This lightweight laptop provides all of the power of a

What Parity doesn't tell you is that they are just reselling the
RDI/TriGem Britelite machine.

RDI is the U.S. subsidiary? of TriGem, a Korean company. The Britelite
is assembled about 1 mile from where I type.

I have seen this box, and it *is* neat. They are currently shipping a
640x480 display, the higher-res mono is available for about $700 more,
and nobody can afford the color display technology yet.

I hefted this beast and is is fairly substantial. The guy I talked to
has been lugging it (and using it) on an airplane. He says the major
problem is that the machine takes up almost the whole tray table,
leaving no room for the mouse. They are working on a mini-trackball
that attaches to the side of the keyboard.

It fits easily under an airline seat, and the case it comes in has
LOTS of extra room, for multiple extra battery packs, clothes for a
three day trip :-) , etc.

If I had $10,800 (list), I would consider it.

You can also buy Britelite from Andataco, which is at (619)453-9191.
Ask for Brian Crouch. I have dealt with him/them before and been
completely satisfied.

Tell him I sent you, maybe he'll give *me* a Britelite, for the
referral :-)

Tom Perrine (tep)                       |Internet: tep at tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon - T&TSD                         | UUCP: sun!suntan!tots!tep
P.O. Box 85158                          |GENIE: T.PERRINE
San Diego CA 92138                      |Voice: +1 619 455 1330
"Harried: with preschoolers"            |  FAX: +1 619 552 0729