Openwindows doesn't work on new install of 4.1.1

marty at puppsr.princeton.edu marty at puppsr.princeton.edu
Thu Jun 6 00:17:00 AEST 1991

In article <2924 at brchh104.bnr.ca>, auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) writes:
|> Well, in the 4.1.1 we have here, it's both "libX11.so.1.0" *and*
|> "libX11.so.4.3", with the latter a symlink to the former; the latter
|> name was probably chosen for MIT X11R4 compatibility (the version number
|> in X11R4 is 4.2).

   One very big fly in this ointment is that libX11.so.1.0 (the OpenWindows
version of libX11) is *not* X11R4!!!! it's R3!! (check the include files in
/usr/openwin/include/X11).  So, when I tried building X11R4 clients within
the OpenWindows environment, I got tons of errors.  For some !@%$%@ reason,
the *entire* OpenWindows 2.0 code environment is X11R3 instead of X11R4.
Anyone at Sun or with further info care to comment?  Our workaround has been
to use libX11.4.2 (from the MIT X tape) and have the libX11.4.3 symlink point
to it instead (to stop ld.so from complaining).  We have also made the
/usr/openwin/include/X11 directory point to the X11R4 include files.

--
Dr. Marty Ryba                | ex-slave physics grad student
Princeton University          | They don't care if I exist,