3.5" drive use in SS1

acook at athena.mit.edu acook at athena.mit.edu
Thu Jun 6 00:17:00 AEST 1991

Hi

Does anyone know how to get the SS1 to read/write/format IBM PC format disks

(1.44MB)?

I got mtools v1.2 off the net, but it does not support 1.44mb drives.  Is there
a newer version ( I heard rumors of a v2.0) about?  If so, where can I anon. ftp
it from  ?  Another compilcation is that the version of mtools I found requires
drivers that I don't have.  Can I just rename what it is looking for to the
drivers I do have (rfd0x, fd0x)?

Lots of questions . . .

One complication, I'm only running SUN OS 4.0.3c.  I understand that 4.1.1 has
some new stuff to deal with this, but I'm unable to upgrade right now.  One
problem that I forsee is that my version of fdformat does not support the -d
option, which I understand puts a PC DOS directory stucture on the disk.

Any Suggestions ?

Thanks

Andy Cook
acook at athena.mit.edu