PC-NFS 3.5 telnet: delete doesn't erase characters

Eric Hanchrow yamada-sun!eric at nosun.west.sun.com
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

I don't know when I first noticed this, but when I'm using telnet on
my PC (PC-NFS 3.5), connected to our Sparc 1 (SunOS 4.0.3c), when I
hit the delete key to erase a character, the character on my screen
doesn't get erased, but simply pushed over.  Here's an example (the
underscore represents the cursor location):

Here I type something
	prompt% foobar_

then I decide to erase, so I hit the delete key six times, to erase
`foobar'.

	prompt% _ f o o b a r

As far as our Sparc is concerned, the characters really got erased, so
my problem is really only cosmetic.  Still, it's odd not to see the
characters getting erased... It's almost as if the Sparc is echoing a
`backspace space backspace' sequence when I type delete, only for some
reason the `space' is *inserting* on my screen, instead of
*overwriting*.

What's really weird is if I sit at a different PC on the same network,
which has *exactly the same* executables for telnet.exe and
emtelnet.exe, and log in to the same Sparc from there, the delete key
works fine.  Weird...

Thanks for any suggestions.
       |Eric Hanchrow		sun.com!nosun!yamada-sun!eric		      |
       |Phase III Logic, Inc.	cse.ogi.edu!yamada-sun!eric		      |
       |1600 N.W. 167th Place		Beaverton, OR 97006-4800 USA	      |
       |Voice: (503)-645-0313		Fax: (503)-645-0207     as of 4-Oct-89|
       --------------Crackling-noises-OK--do-not-correct!----------------------