dbx on sparcs

Steve Sydorowicz sydorow at bisco.kodak.com
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

Hi all,

     I seem to remember someone in the distant past talking about strange
problems in dbx. Along those same lines, has anyone seen messages such as:

Did not find excluded file /licensed/db_vista/vista/include/vista.h in
lookaside table when processing stabs from source
 /auto/users/sydorow/bis99/oscmi/src/DatabaseInterface/SysgenTable/SysgenTable.c
 in product

OR

bogus type info when processing stabs from source
   /u/users/sydorow/bis99/oscmi/h/TransactionCodes/TransactionCodes.h in product

I *am* using some shared libraries, which I realize I can not debug in.
However, it would seem that something else "very bad" is happening to dbx.
(In fact, these errors are not the norm. Usually, dbx just dumps core on
start up)

I realize that the manual mentions that dbx "may not work correctly" when
using shared libraries, but this behavior (and doc blurb) are new to the
sparcs. Is there some way I can get around this problem short of
compiling/linking the whole world statically? I'm not really interested in
learning adb :-), but it probably beats the heck out of printfs everywhere.

Of course, any answer/advice would be very welcome.

                 Thanks,
                 Steve