Microsoft C and PC-NFS

Grant Ward gaw at aeg.dsto.oz.au
Tue Jun 11 07:53:00 AEST 1991

deckel at relay.nswc.navy.mil writes:

>I have a programmer here who is writing a C program in Microsoft C.
>He wants to set the DOS TMP variable to H:\ which is a PC-NFS mounted
>directory where the C source code is located.  Apparently the TMP
>variable tells the compiler where to write temporary files while
>it's compiling.  When he does this he gets errors when the program is
>compiling.  The errors say something about not being able to find the
>temporary files that are supposed to be created on the TMP directory.
>When he changes the TMP variable to be C:\ or D:\ then it works
>correctly.  Microsoft didn't seem to have a clue about what could
>be causing this problem.  Does anyone out there know of a reason
>why PC-NFS may not allow Microsoft C to operate in this way?

I have had a similar problem, but with the include and lib variables.  It
seems as if MSC has trouble coping with NFS drives. I got errors like
Can't find include file 'stdio.h' :-) and also couldn't find my own header
files in the current directory (yet another NFS drive).  When linking I
had it say things like Can't find library R:\ibm\nfs\lib\llibtk.lib --ie.
it knew which directory of the lib variable to find llibtk, but then
couldn't actually read it or something.

This problem seems to be temperamental - it's working fine at the moment
but that's with the MSC stuff local and all the rest on NFS drives (my
code and the NFS Toolkit stuff)

BTW, this is MSC5 I refer to above. MSC4 _appears_ to be OK, but I think I
may have had problems with it before also.

Cheers, Grant.

Grant Ward (gaw at aeg.dsto.oz.au)	    Ph: (08) 259 5022
Remember folks, if you can't flame MeSsy-DOS, then _what_ can you flame ??