Open Windows crashing (Ackkk! Pbbttt!)

nobody at kodak.com nobody at kodak.com
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

Environment
===========
Machine: Sun 4/360 (3/260 upgraded to SPARC)
Memory:	32Mb
SunOS:	4.1.1
OpenWindows: Version 2

Problem
=======
The !@#$%@!!! OpenWindows Windowing System crashes at random.

Description
===========
I usually run OpenLook although this problem occurs if I am running twm.
My applications are xterm (from /usr/openwin/demo), dclock, FrameMaker 2.1X,
xmh, xpbiff and xpostit.

OpenWindows has crashed when all I have been running is xpbiff, xterm and dclock so I don't believe that FrameMaker, xmh or xpostit cause the problem.

When the windowing system crashes it starts at the top of the screen and
scrambles everything while it proceeds to the bottom of the screen. I am bounced back to my login process and must restart OpenWindows.

As a result my colormap often gets screwed up and I get things like white lightblue.

Two questions:
	1) Why does OpenWindows crash? How can I/Sun fix it?

	2) How can I reset the colormap short of rebooting the machine.
		(clear_colormap DOES NOT fix the problem!!!)

Any pointers would be appreciated.

  | Steve Deal	 	| Internet: deal at Kodak.COM		       |
  | Eastman Kodak Co.	| UUCP:     ...rutgers!rit!kodak!tempus!deal   |
  | Engr. Systems Div.	| Voice:    (716) 726 - 5396		       |
  | mailcode: 35108	| FAX:	    (716) 726 - 7406	               |
  | 901 Elmgrove Road	| 					       |
  | Rochester, NY	| 					       |
  | 	   14653-5108   |					       |

    Disclaimer:	"Everyone is entitled to an opinion,
		 the above is mine and not that of my employer."